Tuesday, November 22, 2011

6 short years ago

do you remember where you were exactly 6 years ago at this moment?  for most people i am sure the answer is probably asleep or no i don't remember.  i remember exactly where i was and everyone who was there with me, the 2 hours and 45 mins that were about to pass at 12:03am on November 23, 2005 would change my life and theirs (to lesser degrees) forever.  i was being rushed out of my hospital room after hours of unproductive labor into the operating room at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center for an emergency C-section.  thank God for the fact that i was medicated to the point of not really being able to think the situation through, and after hours of labor at that moment they could have told me they were taking me to board the space shuttle and i would have nodded.  Bayley Amanda Gill was born at 2:48am, and no other momma could ever have been so happy to hear a strong, squeaky cry.  at 4 weeks premature my idiot OBGYN had given me every reason to be terrified that cry might not come on it's own and from what i remember of the faces around the room of my doctor, the nurses, the anesthesiologist, and the pediatric pulmonary doctor from Children's Hospital who was standing watch you would have thought we were all at the crucial turning point of a John Grisham novel.  i don't let myself think about all the different paths that had been laid out that night, the possibilities are too much to bare just as they were that night as i floated in and out of consciousness inside the operating room.

the world has changed so much since that night that i am sure the person i was when i entered that OR would not recognize it if she were here.

Happy 6th Birthday Little Princess!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so exciting! Glad all went well! I've got 2 princesses of my own, and 2 princes as well. Life it good! :)

    ReplyDelete